Home Tip Tuesday: Getting Your Home Ready to Sell
Spring is a great time to put your house on the market, but it's not going to sell itself! Time to get to work. There are several things that should be done in order to put your house in the best possible condition for a sale. It's going to take a bit of time and energy, but it will be worth it in the end.
1. Curb Appeal - Make a good first impression and create a warm welcome. Keep the front yard well maintained - cut the grass and prune trees and bushes. You may even want to top off the mulch. Make sure the porch and the exterior of the home is clean and inviting. Place potted plants or plant colorful flowers around entry.
2. Clean It Up - Having a clean and neat home really impresses buyers. It can also show that your home has been well-cared for over the years. Cleaning carpets and grout gives your home a crisp and clean look that is very appealing.
3. Fresh Paint - Painting the walls can really freshen up your home. Choose a neutral palette to appeal to the masses. Don't forget to touch up the trim and moldings as well. Consider painting old cabinets for an updated look.
4. Pack it Up and De-clutter - Prospective buyers want to be able to imagine themselves living in your home. Pack away personal items like family photos, knick-knacks and anything that is not necessary to your day-to-day life. Think minimalism. This helps give your home a spacious feeling. The added bonus is there will be less for you to have to pack-up later.
5. Update Lighting and Hardware - Updating any outdated light fixtures and the hardware on cabinetry will greatly contribute to your home's fresh, new look. These small changes can make a big impact.
6. Conceal - Before a showing make sure to tuck away things like pet dishes and accessories, children's toys, cleaning supplies and dirty laundry. It's helpful to have a plan of action for last minute showings so your home always shows like a model.
7. Outdoor Living - While curb appeal is very important, don't forget about the back yard. Make sure yard maintenance is done regularly. Sweep and power wash the patio or deck. A clean outdoor living space is very inviting. Add some pots with cheerful flowers. Prospective buyers should be able to comfortably walk around and picture themselves relaxing and entertaining there.
Your realtor will be able to give you more personalized suggestions to help get your home sold. Good luck!
For home tours, home tips and more visit homechanneltv.com.