|Asphalt driveways are cost effective and durable.|
While we may not always give much thought to the aesthetics of our driveway, its appearance serves as one of the first impressions folks make when seeing our home. For a look you can be proud of, start with asphalt.
What is asphalt?
Asphalt pavement mixes stones and sand with liquid asphalt cement, a petroleum product. This is done by heating various sizes of aggregates and then mixing them in exact proportions with the asphalt cement that has been liquefied at a temperature of approximately 300°F. The mixture is then paved onto the driveway while still hot.
Pros of Asphalt Driveways:
- It is strong and durable
- It is capable of withstanding freezing and thawing
- It does not require salting in the winter
- It is designed to flex and “give” with slight settlements or frost heave
- It requires minimal maintenance
- It is extremely cost-effective
- Still requires more maintenance than non-maintenance gravel options
- Heat from summer weather causes asphalt to become malleable and flexible
- Heavy items can dent asphalt if it has absorbed too much heat
To discover more home tips, please visit homechanneltv.com.